St. Matthew was established in the northwest suburbs of Chicago in 1863. St. Matthew's handicapped accessible church and school facilities are situated on 14 acres of land. The post office address is Hawthorn Woods, IL. Hawthorn Woods is surrounded by Lake Zurich, Wauconda, Mundelein, Kildeer, Deer Park, and Long Grove. Church members and school students reside in additional areas such as: Vernon Hills, Libertyville, Round Lake, Antioch, Barrington, Palatine, Arlington Heights, Island Lake, McHenry, Spring Grove, and Richmond, IL.
The buildings on the main campus include a large church built in 1992, a two-story chapel (the old church which was built in 1949), a two-story school building, and the main parsonage. All buildings except the parsonage are connected. An additional parsonage is located nearby. The chapel and church include various ministry offices, reception, a nursery, and meeting facilities. The main church seats 600, has a large choir room, and three balconies. In addition, the main church has a full walk-out lower level which contains a formal banquet hall, a Youth Group segregated meeting area with lounge facilities and a teenage gaming area, and a large, fully-outfitted play, homework, discussion, and relaxation area for after-school care. A library and a courtyard connect the school and church buildings. The buildings also house three full kitchens, an additional banquet hall, and segregated preschool facilities.
The school has a security camera system and the school access and after-school care doors have secure camera entry systems. The school building has 11 classrooms (which include 2 computer labs, a science lab, and one convertible classroom), a lunch room, a full-sized gym, and stage facilities. The classrooms and computer labs have wireless internet access, 2 mobile interactive white boards, one fixed interactive white board, a mobile lab with 25 identical laptop computers, a multitude of desktop computers in the second computer lab with flat screen monitors, and desktop and additional laptop computers in the classrooms.
The grounds contain two playground areas-one for preschool age children and one for school age children-flat, open land used for soccer and baseball fields for physical education programs, an outdoor fitness course, and a cemetery. The grounds are pleasingly landscaped with individual flower beds adopted by church members. The acreage is surrounded by trees.